Data Methods and Interpretation module
Burden of Injury
Costs to the health care system to care for people who are injured at the time of injury
Defined as the # of new cases of a given condition occurring within a defined population
Violence or Self-Inflicted
Potential Years of Life Lost (PYLL)
Defined as the # of years that an individual lost because they died before reaching the normal life expectancy (usually standardized to 75)
Defined as the # of cases of a given condition at a specific point in time
Inadvertent or accidental
Is the video pausing on its own with the spinning icon?
Press the pause button in the toolbar below the video and give it some time to buffer before playing again.
How do I hear the question again?
If you hide the question currently presented, you can replay the video up to that point.
How do I turn on/off closed captioning?
Click the "CC" button in the toolbar at the bottom of the video.
How do I look at my answers for questions I've completed?
Click the stack menu in the top right side of the video, and click on each question completed.
Related Resources: List of injury database websites
National Mortality Databases:
National Morbidity Databases:
Other useful reports:
- Pike I, Richmond S, Rothman L, Macpherson A (eds.) (2015). Canadian Injury Prevention Resource. Parachute, publisher: Toronto, ON.
- Pike, I., Piedt, S., Warda, L., Yanchar, N., Macarthur, C., Babul, S., Macpherson, A. (2010). Developing injury indicators for Canadian children and youth: a modified-Delphi approach. Injury Prevention, 16, 154-160. doi:10.1136/ip.2009.025007
- National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools. (2014). Evidence-Informed Public Health. National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools. Retrieved from: http://www.nccmt.ca/eiph/ index-eng.html
- Parachute. (2015). The Cost of Injury in Canada. Parachute: Toronto, ON
- Statistics Canada. (2016). Vital Statistics – Death Database. Retrieved from: http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p2SV.pl?Function=getSurvey&SDDS=3233
- Statistics Canada. (2016). The Coroner and Medical Examiner Systems. Retrieved from: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-214-x/2012001/int-eng.htm
- Canadian Institutes for Health Information. (2016). Discharge Abstract Database. Retrieved from: https://www.cihi.ca/en/types-of-care/hospital-care/acute-care/dad-metadata
- Canadian Institutes for Health Information. (2016). National Ambulatory Care Reporting System. Retrieved from: https://www.cihi.ca/en/types-of-care/hospital-care/emergency-and-ambulatory-care/nacrs-metadata
- Public Health Agency of Canada. (2016). Canadian Hospitals Injury Reporting and Prevention Program. Retrieved from: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/injury-bles/chirpp/index-eng.php
- Statistics Canada. (2016). Canadian Community Health Survey. Retrieved from: http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p2SV.pl?Function=getSurvey&SDDS=3226
- Statistics Canada. (2016). National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth. Retrieved from: http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p2SV.pl?Function=getSurvey&SDDS=4450
- World Health Organization. Table – Disease and injury regional mortality estimates, 2000 – 2012, World Bank income groups. Retrieved from: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_ disease/estimates/en/index1.html